ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST (ES)
A. POSITION DESCRIPTION
Global Environmental Health Solution (GEHS) is seeking to engage a talented professional with a background in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Environmental Engineering or any Environment related field with prerequisite skills in Environmental Assessments/ Ecological Studies. This candidate will work with a team of diverse, highly motivated Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) professionals and consultants.
B. SCOPE OF WORK
The Environmental Scientist reports to the Head of the organization and provides technical support in the delivery of environmental services of the organization. S/He will carry out the full range of investigative, educational and advisory duties associated with all facets of the environment. Areas of work include Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Audit, Capacity Building and Report Writing.
The responsibilities of the ES include the following:
• Coordinate all environmental services of the organization.
• Collect environmental data during field activities.
• Analyze and interpret environmental data to determine quality and scientific significance.
• Conduct Environmental Audits.
• Prepare Reports on Environmental Studies.
• Make presentations to target audience.
• Plan, solicit participation and coordinate Environmental courses in accordance with the fixed
program approved by the Head of the organization.
• Develop proposals on solutions and services on environment related challenges.
• Generate new businesses and maintain existing accounts.
• Keep up to date with development within the profession.
• Other duties as assigned by the Head of the organization.
D. ENTRY REQUIREMENT
Candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences or any Environment related field. Additional qualification will be an advantage.
Candidate should have at least 2 years working experience and an in-depth knowledge of National and International Environmental legislations and guidelines. Proven experience in an environmental consultancy firm is desirable otherwise applicant will be required to demonstrate commercial understanding of consultancy.
❖ REQUIRED SKILLS
The following skills are required to be considered for this position:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Use of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint as required.
• Good organization skills.
• Good analytical skills and the ability to think critically.
• Good public speaking skills.
• Leadership skills.
• Self- motivated and driven.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Good scientific, technical understanding and sound numeracy and IT skills.
• Vast knowledge in Environmental Management tools including Assessments.
• Spatial Analysis using Arc GIS.
• Methodical, careful approach to gathering facts and assessing evidence.
• Attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
• Ability to work well and continue to deliver results under pressure.
• Ability to work under own initiative without the need for direct day to day management.
❖ PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
• Articulate, neat, respectful and friendly
• Honest and trustworthy
• Strong team player
• Demonstrate sound work ethics.
E. WORK CONDITIONS
• A great time spent in doing field work, hence a degree of flexibility is required.
• Travel outside station will be required.
• Tight deadline may have to be met.
• Smart, professional dressing is expected for office work.